How to Break the Viscious Cycle of Teen Sleep
Here are some simple things you can do to improve the quantity and quality of your sleep:
1. Get at least 8 hours of sleep each night.
2. Go to bed at the same time each night, and get up the same time each morning.
3. Prepare for the next day of school the night before by making your lunch, laying out your clothes, showering, packing up your school work, etc. This allows you to extend your sleep time in the morning and still gets you to class on time.
4. Turn off your cell phone, Instant Messenger, the T.V. and any technological distractions before you go to bed.
5. Exercise during the day.
6. Plan accordingly for tests and quizzes to avoid all-nighters.
7. Find time to relax after a busy school day.
8. Try not to nap for more than a half hour late in the day.
9. Turn your bedroom into a soothing, welcoming place for sleep.
10. If you have trouble falling asleep, keep a pad of paper by your bedside to write down all the things that are running through your mind.
11. Avoid caffeine after 4pm.
12. Turn on all the lights and open all the shades once you wake up in the morning.
13. Make healthy eating choices throughout the day.
14. Keep a sleep log.